Friday, May 21, 2010

Re-emerging






The past weeks have flown on the wings of happiness, sadness, uncertainty, certainty, pressure (always self-imposed), and change, to name a few...and in no particular order.

The truck was loaded and we had a beautiful drive to CA on May 7 & 8. For my trip project, I chose a project started 20 years ago: embroidering a pre-printed pillow case. I have been wanting to embroider for the last year (more like getting a message that I needed to start again) and this was a great way to start again. The work I did in the car, with bumps in the road and inadequate eye wear, will no doubt look like it was done by some feeble person when inspected by some unsuspecting family one day far into the future. I had so much fun doing it, I had to remind myself to look out the window at the vistas I love so much on that journey.

It has taken until now to catch up with myself...sleeping many hours each day and spending the others mostly wishing I could be sleeping. This last week I've started morning walks with my friend Liz, and her dogs. I have been paired with Dolly, who is a perfect walking partner...she keeps a brisk pace on the flats and slows down considerably on the uphill (my home is near the top of a steep street).

I am loving being near my family...knowing they are just a 5 minute walk away and that I don't have to try to crush lots of visits into a brief period of time. I am just a few breaths away from shopping, the library, restaurants...quite a change from Taos. I am content. Life is good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martie: You do sound happy! Also a slow, good pace to visit. I have dish towels and pillow cases from my grandmother that she embroidered (haven't used that word in a long time). And, it good to have Dolly as a walking companion.

(Jack Matthews, Sage to Meadow)

Taos Sunflower said...

Jack: I'm sorry to be so behind on reading your blog!!! Everyone's blogs! Yikes! It's not for lack of interest!