Monday, April 23, 2012

Home to roost

Remember the rug I started last spring, maybe?  I finished it while I was in Taos this winter and stuffed it in a suitcase and brought it back to CA with me. I've been holding off on showing you the final piece, for fear its recipient would see my posting and blow my surprise.

Final size:  35" x 50"
I'm happy to report that yesterday I was able to send this rug to its new home.  Waiting this long to be able to do this has been really hard!  This rug is for my wonderful niece, Laurie, who has worked herself to the bone this last year taking care of my brother in law and his financial affairs and bookkeeping (my sister had always done those things and he wasn't even used to writing checks!  let that be a lesson, friends).   This, on top of her own full time job and living at least two hours from Bob.  I'd love to nominate her for sainthood, actually.

This is the piece I started with the fold out free pattern from Rug Hooking Magazine.  It's a design from the Las Rancheritas hooking cooperative in Mexico.  I added my own personal touches to it: the borders and corners.   The story to the borders is that Laurie loves to keep a pet hen.  Her first one was named Rosemary, after my mom, and the current hen is Valerie (Laurie's mom), named after my late sister, gone to breast cancer many, many years ago when she was far too young.  This pattern provided a perfect format for me to use some wild colors and along with being a memory of our moms, it's an homage to our Spanish/Mexican heritage.  It was loads of fun to hook and never once boring.

So...there you have it.  I know I purport to being a rug hooker but seldom show any work.  Now I can show you what I've done these last months and when I return to NM this coming week, start a new piece. Yippeeee!!!!

7 comments:

Robyn said...

It is amazing Martie, which sounds just about right for your niece.

It is so cool that I can now imagine exactly what you mean when you say you are going back to Taos! XOX

Unknown said...

I can see why it was so hard to keep that secret. It is just beautiful!

Stitching Upstairs said...

As good as the photo is....it can't hold a candle to the real thing. I know because I saw it in person. I just love this piece and the story that goes with it.

It will be good to welcome you back.

Sara said...

I absolutely love this. The colors are amazing, and the story is lovely!

Ter'e said...

Oh Martie................I have been dying to see the whole rug. Isn't this wonderful???? If ever a rug could give you a huge hug, this one would.
I simply love it!!!!!!!

xoxoxoxoxox

Cathy G. said...

Hi Martie,
Your rug is absolutely delightful! Your niece is so lucky to get a wonderful rug that is destined for a family heirloom! Such meaning and so well executed! Congratulations on a spectacular finish!
Hugs!
Cathy G

Ter'e said...

I had to come back and take another ppek. Am so proud of you for hooking this one. It's simply spectacular. Every little inch of color says LOVE!
Martie.................you are something else!!!!!!!