Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Bad blogger, no donuts

Somehow it has been months since I posted here last.  I offer no stellar excuses; I'm just finding my life has gotten busier than it has been since the shop closed in 2008.  It's mostly good things: family, travel, sewing, spinning, and oh yes, my latest big project, losing the weight I've gained since last fall.  It's an old story you're all sick of hearing about, so I won't go there.

False start
In June, I decided to tackle the Marcelle Medallion quilt pattern that's been a big thing in the quilting world these last months.  It's featured in Alexia Marcelle Abegg's great book, Liberty Love, an homage to the many fabulous Tana Lawn fabrics created by Liberty of London over the years.  It's a pattern that I would never have dreamed of tackling three years ago, when I started quilting, but felt ready to try this summer.  My quilting buddy, Terri, was here, and together we launched off into the unknown.

Better idea
First step:  find all possible candidate fabrics and stack them nicely on my desk (this looked this good for only about an hour).




Second step:  cut pattern shapes out of template plastic.  Note: make sure they're copied to correct size so you don't screw up like I did the first time.

Third: just start cutting and sewing.  First attempt looked OK, but was the wrong gauge, so I bagged it and started over. 

Finished top
One month later, I finally finished it.  I am tickled with how it came out; I learned a lot and am looking forward to time to tackle another.  Oh...and the false start ended up being well on its way to becoming a pillow cover.  Yay!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you again! The quilts are looking fab!

Kim said...

Very pretty. I love those fabrics. I'm impressed that you didn't give up. I get frustrated too easily.

Ter'e said...

Martie!
I was so happy to see that you posted!!!!! YEA!!!! Oh I love the quilt you are working on. Gorgeous.

xoxoxox
Ter'e

Gayle said...

Looks good to me! I've been loving all the medallion quilts I've been seeing and want to try one for myself - wish me luck!

Sujata Shah said...

Martie,
Your quilt looks amazing. I love all the textures and patterns married together here. Can't wait to see the pillow.. Soon I hope!

Sujata

Ter'e said...

Martie......
We need a blog post every 6 mos just so we know what you are up to. I sure miss your happy face!!!!!
Ter'e

Quiltedtime said...

Hi, I noticed your blog name on Wanda's Exuberant Color site and was intrigued since I am a New Mexico native. Your medallions are very attractive. Nice contrast and color choices.

Unknown said...

If you're attempting to lose fat then you have to start using this brand new tailor-made keto plan.

To design this service, licenced nutritionists, fitness couches, and cooks have joined together to provide keto meal plans that are effective, painless, economically-efficient, and fun.

Since their first launch in January 2019, 100's of individuals have already remodeled their figure and well-being with the benefits a certified keto plan can offer.

Speaking of benefits: clicking this link, you'll discover eight scientifically-proven ones provided by the keto plan.