Monday, March 16, 2009

Back in the day...

Swamisign
There wasn't a fancy sign.  There was a dirt parking lot full of beat up cars and maybe, just maybe, a woody or two.  On a busy day on the weekend, there might be 20 or so people there.  I remember going there in my first (very scandalous) yellow bikini, the sides of which measured probably 3".   On some lazy days, Russell, my lifeguard hero, would ask me to run up (approximately 125 stairs to the street)  to the grocery store for his lunch.  He was a god to me...I willingly complied.

46ford_cutout
Now I drive by there and see the paved parking lot full of things like Range Rovers and other fancy SUVs or trucks.  Parking overflows to the streets nearby on some days.  I don't know if anyone in bikinis (or most likely, thongs) goes there anymore...mostly I see old guys in wet suits.  The Safeway grocery store has been gone for decades...and the last time I saw Russell (also many decades ago), I had come out of my teenage coma and he was, frankly, kind of creepy.

Maybe getting older isn't so bad after all.



5 comments:

Becca said...

What a small world. My wife grew up in Encinitas, and when we visit her family now, sometimes she surfs at Swami's.

Becca said...

Oops, correction. She grew up in Solana Beach.

sandy said...

You should write a book Martie--your stories just draw me right in and make me want to learn more! Love your style! San

Martie said...

It definitely IS a small world!

shawn said...

i love visintg your world...