Thursday, April 23, 2009

Spring blanket

Blanket1 As I was spelunking through boxes, baskets and bins last week in yet another attempt at organization, I discovered that when I wasn't looking, I do believe my yarns have multiplied.

I was pretty sure I was gaining on the situation, but there they were, everywhere I turned, especially large balls of hand spun yarns. 

I've been having a problem lately with knitting.  I've been finding myself feeling there isn't any purpose in starting anything new...since I don't really wear sweaters, I already have about six shawls, more scarves than I should admit to, and no, I don't like to wear hand knitted socks (love seeing them on others, love to knit them...just don't like to wear them).  I've been wanting to get back to my charity knitting and haven't, thinking there will surely be more people needing help as a result of this depression...but how to find them and make sure the knitted goods reach the right people is always a question mark in my mind.

Then I remembered what my buddy Kay does...she knits piles and piles of beautiful blankets, cutting the yarns at both ends of the rows and fringing them.  After a quick telephone consultation, I grabbed a pair of 60" size 15 circular needles and all the thickest, artsy-ist, lumpiest yarns I could find, predominantly in spring colors...bright yellows, spring greens, and pinks of all shades.  After the first evening, I found myself rummaging around upstairs looking for more.  I am now officially into it.

By the time I discovered how wide it was, I was too far gone to take it apart and start over (I think it's going to be about 6' wide).  I am now committed to knit it long enough to be proportionate...with a nod to the Golden mean, I think that means it will be around 8-9' long.  That should keep me busy for a few more evenings.  Here it is so far...



8 comments:

Shelly said...

Wow, that looks great!

RuthieJ said...

That's a gorgeous blanket Martie. I love all the colors. You know if it's that wide you could probably just use that as the length and instead of knitting it 8-9' long, stop at 4 feet. (just a thought....I've done some of mine that way when making up my own patterns)
I've been doing quite a lot of charity knitting lately--it seems there's always some group that's having a silent auction or fundraiser that I can donate a couple hats, scarves, or even a shawl to.
Enjoy your knitting!

Kay said...

Rock on, Sunflower! It's great. Ruthie's right, It's 6' long and just make it as wide as you want. I love the colors. It's addictive. I've knit 3 or 4. It's a real stash buster.
Kay in Dallas

Martie said...

I was thinking that about the width/length thing...I may have to end up doing it that way if I run out of yarn. Otherwise, at my height, it would be awesome to have it huge...for those winter naps...

Kay in New Mexico said...

BeeYOUtiful!

Martie said...

thanks everyone!

angie said...

awesome concept and beautiful blankie! as someone (like many MANY of us) who also has bins of lovely handspuns, this is a great way to use them without waste!!
angella

Martie said...

Thanks! Plus it's waaaay fun to do. If you do it, let me know and send a picture for me to share with everyone...