Friday, February 19, 2010

The end of the week


I've been feeling sad about not posting, but I haven't had anything come to mind other than the fragments that are flying around in my head on a regular basis. Lots more thoughts about the conversation about letter writing, which, in turn, brought back more childhood memories that I probably need to put to paper one day...mostly for myself. A purging, of sorts. Maybe looking at all of it on paper will cause it all to make more sense than how it feels when these things are flying around in my head like little meteors.

Our new family member has kept us on our toes. She is a rambunctious teenager, one who was dominant and in charge in her first home and isn't allowed to be here. She is now trying to decide which one of us is her alpha.

I've been hooking a lot this past couple of weeks, and am almost finished with my project started far too long ago. It's great to be back at work. I am watching to make sure I don't mess up my neck again like I did last year.

On the nightstand is a book called "On Mexican Time". Written in the mid-late 80s, it's about a writer and his artist wife who escape Los Angeles and move to San Miguel de Allende. My father brought us up to believe that one never ever should cross the border into Mexico, so I've only visited Baja a couple of times in my (misspent) youth. This is really a nice escape on these grey winter days...and once again is stirring up my desire to visit the town in Mexico where my father's family came from. Con tiempo.

Have a good weekend...

8 comments:

Kim said...

Good luck with claiming your Alpha status with your new addition. I'm sure it will be an entertaining battle of wills! I look forward to seeing your hooking project.
Kim

Taos Sunflower said...

Thanks, Kim...if you'd seen us together last night, you would swear she was winning. Grrrrr!

~ Phyllis ~ said...

Many times I feel the same way about blogging.
I frequently think that I should take a break from blogging and then something will pop into my head to blog about.
Good luck with your new dog.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martie. Yes, your post on letter writing has been on my mind, too. I let several days pass this week and not write on the blog. I read my list of bloggers and enjoyed them, but didn't have much to say until the one on Fanny today. I enjoy your posts so much and I am glad you write when you can and want to write. I click through some of your archives and always enjoy your sunflower on the homepage. Finally, I hope your dogs get settled with a minimum of difficulty. How did you put it? Con tiempo--they will settle in. --Jack

Taos Sunflower said...

Phyllis: Isn't it strange...sometimes the ideas just flow and other times not. Good to hear from you.

Taos Sunflower said...

Jack: Thanks, as always. These grey skies are really getting me down, I'm afraid. I lived on the coast of Oregon for four long months back in 1973, and the seamless grey skies all but killed me then. I had nightmares for years that I was in the cab of our pickup truck and I was being forcefully moved back. One of the wonders of NM, as you know, is the abundant sunshine, winter or summer. I'm hoping Sr. El Nino takes a long hike and we don't see him again for a while.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martie: wellll, it is our 3rd day of rain, grey and glooooomy skies !!! strange how when the sun leaves for more than a day, the grey seems to settle in quicker than you realize (sorry if I'm not making sense here, ha). we had a week of sunny 60+ degrees and they were wonderful, BUT, I kept saying to DH, "don't settle into spring mode just yet" did I bring on/manifest the grey ?? don't know, don't really care, ha, but do want it to pass. soooo, I just thought I would share a little of what you are feeeeling with I am feeeeling at this very moment - this tooooo shall passss : ) you know that old, old, wellll, old, saying "if there is anything you can reeallly count on in life it's CHANGE" hahaha : ) ohhhh, one more thing, your puppies are absolutely wonderful !!!
Blessings to YoufromMe, Sandra in AZ : )

Taos Sunflower said...

Gosh, Sandra! And here I thought all the grey was here in NM. :0) Sorry to hear you've had to share it with us. It's been snowing like a, well, gangbusters today, so hoping tomorrow brings sun...it must be clearing up tomorrow, because our overnight low for tomorrow night is 5F...usually the sign of a nice, clear, evening sky. Getting out of Dodge on Friday for a couple of days, hoping to bring some new sun with me when I return. PS "This, too, shall pass" was my mom's favorite poem and saying. XXX