Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"The woman on the path"


Some of you will already know this is the name of this mat pattern, purchased a couple of years ago from Deanne Fitzpatrick.

I just loved working on this piece; it gave me lots of time to think about the women in my family and in particular, my mom. While we didn't live in the Maritimes, she adored the Pacific ocean and it was her greatest joy to be able to live there the last years of her life. I remember when head scarves were always worn...whether to protect one's "do", keep warm, or cover up those ghastly curlers once common in most of our bathrooms.

Seems the older I get, the more I see one or both of my parents in myself. Today it is my mom, anxious to return to the beach and see the grandchildren. And now...off to pack so I can get back on my own path tomorrow.

3 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Enjoy your time in San Diego with the grandkids!

Cathy G. said...

I am sooooo behind in my blog reading! Enjoyed your post and what a gorgeous rug! I can see why you enjoyed working on it in more ways than one!
Safe travels!
Cathy G

woollylottrugs said...

I have stumbled on your blog somehow and saw a mention of the rug Woman on A Path by Deanne. This is one of my very favorite rugs. I am a rug hooker also, live in Pennsylvania and would love to order this pattern from Deanne but the shipping from Canada to US is almost 15.00 just for shipping which is the only thing stopping me. I just need to save my pennies until I can fit this in my budget. Just wanted to tell you that you did a lovely job on this rug. Really beautiful! Enjoyed your pictures of your beautiful yarns.

Cyndi