Friday, May 25, 2007

Who's your Teddy?

I don't know how you grew up, but my parents, who were old enough to be my grandparents and still recovering from The Great Depression, didn't have money or interest in fostering my desires for things like stuffed animals.  I waited until I was in  my 30s to start my own collection, and my favorites are the lambs I've collected over the years from Starbucks, each dressed in different holiday attire.  Color me sentimental; I love them all.



Ever elusive has been the well-loved and worn Teddy bear.  You just can't buy one with that much love and wear and tear in it.  However...this last week...I came close, in the form of a sweater.



Rooting around my office at work, I discovered a Rowan sweater coat I had knitted a couple of years ago, using Super Chunky Cashmerino.  A blend of 55% wool, 33% microfibre, and 12% cashmere, this yarn is the bulkiest of Debbie Bliss' Cashmerino line.  My sweater, while a size large for me, weighed so much that if I had planned to wear it regularly, it would have probably become a bath robe.  I was pondering it sadly when Monte suggested I take it home and full it.  Ta da!!!  (Who says two heads aren't better than one?)



Three full cycles through my washer and one trip through my clothes dryer later, my prize was completed.  I created, without even planning it...that Teddy bear I always wanted, only I get to wear this one.  The microfibre content was enough to keep the stitches from melding together, and while the sweater is quite a bit smaller and more manageable, the cashmere (or some part of it) ending up all over everywhere...the inside of my washer, the dryer, and all points in between.  The sweater has a rather shaggy appearance now.  It took me a while to stop laughing and decide that I could love this sweater...I mean, Teddy...and hopefully, remember not to try fulling this combination of fibers again.  ---Martie





PS Sorry there's no picture...you'd have to see it in person.



No comments: