Monday, October 22, 2007

Fires

I started this day completely unaware that my friends and family in San Diego county were in the path of wildfires.071021fire
071022big_dulzura
After my husband called mid-morning to tell me, I managed to spend the rest of the day either on the phone or gleaning what I could from CNN and the San Diego websites offering up to the minute news. 



My first phone call was to my sheep and goat rancher friend in Ramona...who, despite orders for the entire community to evacuate, stayed on to fight the fire.  With her husband and son, they managed to save their home and animals in what she described as the worst night of her life.  This is one very strong and brave woman, and I am in awe of her.



What is happening out there is unthinkable.  I feel so helpless, and to those of you affected by these fire storms, please know my thoughts are with you for safety.  I cannot imagine what you must be going through.  ---Martie

(photos courtesy of www.signonsandiego.com)



4 comments:

RuthieJ said...

Oh Martie, I thought about you when I saw the fires on the news also....remembering that you had family in the San Diego area. I hope all of your friends and family continue to remain safe.

Terri R said...

I thought about you also Martie. I hope they get the fires put out very soon and that all of your family & friends out there are spared any harm.

Martie said...

Thanks,Ruthie & Terri...we have had friends who've had to evacuate but have been able to return home. My son & his family have voluntarily left the area for better air to breathe...it is a nightmare beyond my imagination and I feel so horrible for all those poor folks who have not been so fortunate.

HollyEQQ said...

Oh my gosh. I am glad they are ok. I can only imagine the decision to stay home and "fight" for your home and animals.
What a woman.
Glad your family are ok.
Holly