Monday, June 7, 2010

Mi trash es su trash



I try hard not to spew depressing thoughts on this blog, feeling most of us get plenty enough during the course of the average day. This morning I just can't help myself.

Since I've been here on the coast, I've been able to get out and take walks along the coast highway, over looking the ocean, and around the little old neighborhoods near the beach. It's really been bugging me to see so much trash on these walks, and I've been wanting to talk about it with someone. Empty plastic bottles, straws, and wrappers, mostly...have caused me to make a commitment with myself to pick up things as I see them and deposit them in the next trash bin (which are frequent along the beach and downtown area). I was thinking if each of us would even just pick up one single piece of trash each time we saw one, it could really add up in the long run. (Caveat: I've also seen some disposable diapers out there, which is gross, but I don't advocate handling those unless you're prepared.)

Then last night, on the evening news, I watched a man talk about having collected a bucket of oil from the sand on the beach and when presented to cleanup workers to dispose of, he claimed he was told it wasn't their job...at which time he dumped the bucket's worth of oil back on the sand in front of them. Whether this is true or not, it really got me going on the trash thing again. If you think it's not yours and you shouldn't bother, trust me...ultimately it is yours. We're all in this together. Think about the masses of plastic and trash bobbing around out in the Pacific Ocean*, one of which is estimated to be approximately twice the size of Texas.

Not yours? You're right...it's ours.

P.S. For those of you who are suffering the direct results of this heinous oil spill, my heart goes out to you, and my anger at all involved, as well. I cannot imagine what you are going through. Seeing the oil coated wildlife on the news each evening is hard enough; knowing generations of folks are losing their livelihood and traditional ways of life is beyond horrible.

----------------------------
*Silverman, Jacob. "Why is the world's biggest landfill in the Pacific Ocean?." 19 September 2007. HowStuffWorks.com. 07 June 2010.

4 comments:

Linda Huesca Tully said...

Martie,

What you say is so true, and your initiative and commitment is both admirable and exemplary. Most of us take pride in our homes, so this should be the next logical step - taking pride in and care of planet Earth. One by one, as we begin to understand that we all share the responsibility, we can inspire others to do the same. Thanks for the gentle reminder.

Linda

Taos Sunflower said...

Thanks, Linda. I was feeling a bit of a crab after I posted this. It's just that all the little things really DO add up, and waiting for someone else to take care of them turns out not to be such a great plan.

Anonymous said...

Martie: I am with you. Pick up a piece of trash, especially that plastic junk. Depressing, the state of affairs. I sometimes think that the last great hope on this earth will be found in northern New Mexico with people and communities like you reflect.

Taos Sunflower said...

Living in Northern NM certainly has taught me so much. Now, if only we could do something about the people who think it's OK to throw beer cans and bottles out the windows...