Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Wrecking Crew


Back to my getaway last weekend.  When I arrived, I was greeted by Nelson, the somewhat psycho, ADD young, high energy dog who can't even stand still long enough to be petted, and Ellie, his 17 year old companion, who is extremely mellow and appears to be trying to ignore him most of the time.  Oh...and Valerie, the hen.  Named after my late sister (who also had auburn locks), she was quite the conversationalist, and we sat and had a very heartfelt conversation on the doorstep.

On Friday, I availed myself of the inviting front porch.  I have always longed for a porch and have yet to have one, in my thirty odd moves over the years.  On Friday, I managed not one, but two naps there, feeling cozy behind the veil of the lush greenery that encompasses it.   Between naps, Laurie gave me a tour of downtown Ojai, where we had a great lunch and visited a couple of really nice thrift stores (I was good and didn't buy much...no room in my bags).

That evening was the big event:  a screening of a film called The Wrecking Crew, a documentary about the group of studio musicians who became THE go-to musicians for much of the most important music of the 60s, 70s, and upward.  If you are a musician, a musician at heart, or lover of music, please check out their website.  They are touring this film on a donation only basis, trying to raise enough money to purchase the music rights so that they may eventually take this film to the public in movie theatres, sell the DVDs, CDs, etc.  It is an important piece of music history, woven together with interviews and archival footage.  I hope I get to see it again one day.

Thanks Laurie and Charles, for making this possible for me.  I love your world.

P.S.  Fond regards to Valerie.











No comments: