Sunday, May 10, 2009

Yes, Dorothy, there's no place like home...

ChickenPotPies After a stunning 8+ hour layover in Toronto on Thursday, we made it to the U.S. in time for dinner before hitting the sack.  Here it was...home made chicken pot pies.  I'm telling you, as my late friend Bernice would have said, they were so good they'd make you want to jump up and slap your grandma (this may be a Texas expression...I had never heard it before, or since).  This was comfort food to the 10th power.

Friday morning found us up in the wee hours and winging our way back to NM.  We landed in Albuquerque around 1:30 p.m. and walked outdoors to discover 90F temps and about 5% humidity.  While I am not a big fan of high temps, it felt so glorious I wanted to just lie down on the sidewalk and soak up some rays. 

BlinkingLightView By the time we hit Taos, I was getting slap happy with the little camera in my iPhone.  I caught several photos of our enormous blue skies to share with you who are still not quite there with your spring yet.  One is at the signal about 8 miles from my home (I live up in the mountains you see in the distance) and the other is on the road into Arroyo Seco, where we've kept the space the shop once housed.  I tried to get some beautiful cattle that were grazing, but missed.  You can imagine them if you wish.

I love traveling and seeing how other folks live.  I love going to faraway places and
imagining what it would be like to live there.

RoadtoSeco For all the years I lived four blocks from the Pacific Ocean, I always returned home wishing I hadn't, feeling something was wrong.  I never have that feeling when I return to Taos...so I know that despite my fickle heart, this is where I'm supposed to be.  I am a Westerner, with my roots firmly planted.  There truly is no place like home.



2 comments:

shawn said...

that's a huge part of what travel is all about. to confirm that you've made some pretty good choices! welcome home. xxx
(ps we have a forcast of snow for tomorrow. can i come and live with you?)

Debra DuBois said...

I understand that home thing workin' for you there. The folks we stay with when we come to our casita on Burch St always leave us a note for when we arrive that says "Welcome Home" and we feel that we are. I can't wait to really be there.