Sunday, December 6, 2009

A day of rest



After spending yesterday photographing and editing photos for new Etsy listings, I'm going to spend today hooking on one of Deanne Fitzpatrick's designs. I've not worked on it in months and it will be good to get back to it...it's almost finished.

Not to beat the topic of cooking to death, but this week I hauled out a cookbook I found in CA earlier this summer. It has recipes for slow cookers that don't involve lots of bottles of ketchup, BBQ sauce, and cream of mushroom soup (not that I don't like these things, I just tired of those recipes years ago). My first meal from this new book was the Jalapeno Corn Chowder. It's a vegetarian soup, but I added chunks of grilled chicken and used masa to thicken instead of regular corn meal. MMM...as my late friend, Bernice, would have said: it was so good, it'd make you want to jump up and slap your grandma. (Origin of that saying unknown, if you know, please enlighten me.)

For someone who loves to eat as much as I do, I'm not wild about spending much time cooking, so this could be a real find. I love the idea of putting it all in a pot and having it ready to eat at the end of the day, with some freshly baked corn muffins. (NOTE: photo of soup taken before the cup of heavy cream went into it...bliss.)

And now...off to wait for the storm that is supposed to be headed our way.

No comments: