Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Why can't we get along?

I've spent a lot of time today being so sad about all the partisan bickering over the health care issues, and why it became such a big issue that our president wanted to speak to our school kids, like George Bush Sr. did during his term.

Last night I started to knit a baby blanket to donate to new babies born in Afghanistan through the Afghans for Afghans project. Imagine giving birth while we're bombing their villages and killing civilians we say we don't want to kill.  Women to women...politics or not...it's a rotten deal.

Then, this afternoon, my friend Annie sent this to me.  It was just what I needed.  Why can't humans manage what these babies did?


The Jesusita Fire in Santa Barbara, CA caused these two to take shelter together. The fawn is about 3 days old and the bobcat about 3 weeks old.


Fawn1



They immediately bonded and snuggled together under a desk in the Santa Barbara County Dispatch Office for several hours.







Animal Planet reported that the bobcat kitten was rescued near

Arnold Schwarzenegger's ranch, where it was dehydrated and near death.

Fawn2




They rescued the fawn during the wildfire.

Although wild animals, especially of separate species, are never placed together due to regulations, in this emergency situation, they had no choice. During the mayhem of the fire, they were forced to put animals anywhere they could, since they had run out of crates large enough for the fawn. The kitten ran to the fawn, and it was instant bonding.











5 comments:

Al said...

Aww, how precious.

robyn said...

Oh - your post makes me want to cry! so beautiful....and I completely agree about the health care issue. it is just absurd that people act this way. why must we always be such children??

6secoyarnhos said...

thanks, Robyn. I'm guessing the people who are arguing against a public health care option are the fat cats who've never had to worry about losing everything they have just to pay for deductibles and co-pays. Frankly, I find it embarrassing a nation that's supposed to be such a leader is so far behind in so many things among the other industrialized nations...how about our high infant mortality death rate? Now there's something to be proud of...

Ruth Johnson said...

I hate that our politicians have become so fractious and divided. I wonder what happened to all those campaign promises of "working across the aisle?" I didn't vote for our current president, but I'm sad to see how difficult his job has become and how public opinion has started to turn against him.
Sorry about this mini-rant......I usually try to stay away from political discussions but like you Martie, my wish is that we could all just get along!

6secoyarnhos said...

Hi Ruthie:
I'm glad to hear someone from "the other side of the aisle" is annoyed and frustrated also. I think there are a lot of people who should be embarrassed by their behavior (on BOTH sides of the isle)!
XXXX